Sunday, February 19, 2012

Weekend Recap...Bright Lights, Big City

Hello Birdies! I hope everyone had a fabulous weekend. I took a trip down to Toronto to visit Kathryn and have a girl's weekend! One thing I love about T.O. is that I discover something new every time I go...I thought I'd share some of my fave places from this trip.

By some miracle, despite late night nachos and cheap wine at Kat's neighbourhood pub on Friday, we managed to drag ourselves to a spinning class at Get Spun. I am so glad we did! The spinning studio is housed at basement level on Spadina and offers  hard-core classes not only for spinning but boot camps, TRX, and pilates. We opted for the 45 minute cycle class and were both sweating within minutes and enjoying the awesome play list. The icing on the workout cake - ice cold towels handed out by the instructor at the end of class!

After grabbing take out salads and smoothies from Fresh, we headed out shopping. The highlight of my day...visiting the free standing Joe Fresh store and brand new Loblaws on Queen street (what would my 16 year old self have to say about that??). Seriously though, Joe was great and walking through the grocery store was heavenly.

A mere fraction of the bakery section

After a fantastic girls night out last night with our pal Anne-Marie and Kat's roommate, we recovered with brunch at Parts and Labour in Parkdale, and it may have been one of my favourite breakfasts of all time. We both went for the vegan take on Huevos Rancheros, and it did not disappoint. Nor did the fabulous buttermilk biscuits with blueberry syrup that we ordered on the side.

The cute little waiting area at Parts & Labour, complete with cozy fireplace


Breakfast - corn tortillas, potato hash, crispy tofu, black beans, tomatoes and guac.

The bar area

What better way to cap off the weekend than with an afternoon cupcake? We shared a vanilla one from Dlish on Queen Street. The cutest part of this bakery - it makes cupcake gift-giving very appealing. Package one up with the ribbon colour and message tag of your choice - from "Miss you" to "Be my cupcake" to "Better off without him". How great is that?



Wishing you all a wonderful week ahead!

1 comment: