Saturday, October 30, 2010

Nineties Nostalgia

I never thought this day would come, but I can truly say that lately when I've been looking at blogs and fashion magazines, I've caught myself thinking, "We used to wear those back in my day!" It's a hideous flashback to what my mom used to say to me when I started sporting bell bottom jeans in seventh grade.

I may not have the teenage daughter, but I definitely am starting to feel a little...older. Especially when I see the trends returning from my junior high / early high school days that I swore I'd never wear again. Thankfully, now many of them have been reinterpreted and while I may never jump on the overalls bandwagon again, the updated desert bootie is looking very appealing. Here are some of my favourite reinterpreted '90s trends:

The Desert Boot

I still remember in fifth grade dragging my mom to the shoe section at Eatons and begging her to buy me my coveted taupe coloured suede desert boots. They were flat. They were pointy. They looked amazing with my favourite jeans and flowered body suit (yep. I said it). Now, the desert boot has returned, often in the form of an oxford / wedge / desert boot hybrid. This makes for adorable shoes that look fabulous with fall's trouser shorts, blazers, or skinny cropped pants. Here are some of my favourites from Shopbop.

Chie Mihara Shoes, Blom Flower Suede Booties

Elizabeth and James Moxie Suede Hiking Boot

Plomo Olivia Suede Oxford Wedges

All Over Denim

I never thought the day would come when I would again sport denim on my back. In fact, I have been known to negatively associate a denim top of any kind with the quintessential Canadian middle aged man, sporting a "denim tuxedo" (jean jacket and matching jeans) and sipping a large double double Tim Horton's Coffee. Looks like this bird may start singing a different tune...this season's fall button downs look effortless with skinny black jeans (and booties of course), flowy hair, and a bold accessory. I fell in love with the various street style looks below:





Corduroy

Ah, cords. I can remember at least three consecutive years of having "a new pair of cords" on my back to school list. An easy swap for jeans, I really felt like a pair of cords dressed up an otherwise drab t shirt or sweater. I've been noticing a re-emergence of my former favourite pants lately, and when chatting with F in Calgary last weekend she confided that she'd recently purchased a pair from J Crew. Like a tech support person, she helped me navigate the website to share her find - a pair of super chic looking wide leg trousers (pictured below). They're definitely on my wish list, along with the skinny version!

Stretch Vintage Trouser Cord

The Toothpick Cord

Vintage Nails

This fall, Nars Cosmetics re-released some of its best selling vintage nail colours, including midnight express (the blue shade pictured below) and full metal jacket (silver). When I saw the colours for the first time I experienced an instant flash back to painting my toes while watching My So-Called Life (that show may have been short lived, but it will always hold a special place in my heart).


Nail Colour Nostalgia

Baby Faced Claire Danes

And finally... what invokes nostalgia better than anything else? Music of course. Might be time to break out these babies:

I'll be listening to the tracks by the Gin Blossoms, Toad the Wet Sprocket, and Dishwalla
My favourite song of all time, Stay by Lisa Loeb and Nine Stories, is on this album.

No comments:

Post a Comment